St. Joseph Catholic Church

Parish

History

Welcome to the Cathedral of the Risen Christ Church, the mother church of the Diocese of Lincoln.

A cathedral is always known as the spiritual home of its diocese. The title of our Cathedral of the Risen Christ exemplifies the resurrection of Jesus in its art and furnishings, and in this cathedral the Presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament in the tabernacle is the focus of silent, perpetual adoration.

To all persons who are Catholic, and to friends who are not, a most cordial welcome is given to visit and pray in this cathedral.

1926 to 1965
February 3, 1926 Bishop Francis J. Beckman and the Diocesan Consultors established a new parish in southeast Lincoln.
1932 Father Joseph A. Kenney organized the new Holy Family parish.
August 28, 1932 First Mass celebrated in a temporary chapel in small house near corner of Pawnee and 48th St.
May 1933 Sheridan and 35th site selected and purchased from Dr. George Farnham as permanent site for new parish.
June 1933 Bishop Kucera blessed ground and Church of the Holy Trinity of the Holy Family Parish.
September 1954 New church-school was dedicated at 35th and Sheridan.
Msgr. L. V. Barnes appointed Pastor.
April 1958 Msgr. Clarence J. Crowley appointed Pastor of Holy Family Parish.
October 1, 1959 Perpetual Adoration was established.
June 20, 1963 Groundbreaking for new Cathedral of the Risen Christ; Bishop James V. Casey and Msgr. Crowley presided.
June 1964 Joseph Cardinal Ritter of St. Louis Missouri officiated in laying the cornerstone.

Cathedral of the Risen Christ

1965 to Today
May 12, 1965 First Mass offered in Cathedral.
August 18, 1965 Cathedral of The Risen Christ dedicated; Apostolic Delegate, Archbishop Edigio Vagnozzi presided.
September 1985 New Parish center campaign fund announced.
March 19, 1986 Msgr. Clarence Crowley died - Vicor General Father James Dawson appointed temporary successor.
June 1986 Father Ivan Vap appointed Rector.
June 1996 Reverend Monsignor James Dawson appointed Rector.
June 1999 Father Robert Tucker appointed Rector.